Old Part of St. Luke's Hospital
This is the old part of St. Luke's Hospital on Morningside Drive. Click here to see what it looked like when new. St. Luke's Hospital is originally from W.54th St. & 5th Ave. An architectural competition was held in 1892, won by the young Ernest Flagg who would go on to design the famous Singer building downtown. State-of-the-art for its day, the building had patient rooms grouped around glazed atria containing open cage elevators. The exterior is a modern interpretation of the style of the French Renaissance, somewhat indebted to the Palais Luxembourg in Paris.